Sunday, October 30, Brisbane to Hamilton, NZ

 The Quantas flight from Brisbane to Aukland was at 9:05am, so we had to get up early again to be at the airport two hours earlier. We flew business class, which in this case was overkill; if there were something between sardine class and business class, that would have been fine. However, I did lean the chair back enough to fall asleep, something I almost never do on planes. We arrived in Aukland about 3:30, after a 3-1/2 hour flight (time change!).

Steve had rented a minivan, into which we managed to get ourselves and all our luggage, not without effort. On arrival in Aukland, Steve drove use immediately to Hamilton. The activities Steve and Paula have planned almost all require a drive of at least an hour.

I thought we had seen some stunning vistas on the Kuranda train, but we get views every bit as impressive just driving along the highway. New Zealand (at least the part we are in) is extremely hilly. The hills are mostly very grassy, but with horizontal ridges showing where the sedimentary layers are when the original mountains were uplifted. What I find most amazing is that almost everywhere, in every direction, you can see a long ways to a very distant horizon. I don't know how this is compatible with all the hills, but it is. New Zealand is just amazing.

Laura had said that Australia had the best place names, but it's a poor second to Australia. As I write this (on Thursday, I'm way behind on blogging), Steve is biking in Whakarewarewa.

After the flight and the drive, we had dinner at a Thai restaurant and went to bed.

New Zealand airport

 
Driving to Hamilton


Scenery

 
Scenery-- note horizontal ridges


Scenery

 
Scenery


Menu
 
At the Thai restaurant


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday, October 22, Cairns

Monday, November 7, Auckland

Bali to Darwin