Darwin, October 9

 Sick.

I slept all afternoon yesterday and all night. My teeth hurt. At some point  took a covid test, but thankfully it was negative. I guess it's just a very nasty cold.

There is a Coles Supermarket only a couple of blocks away. It's very typical, aside from signs above the aisles saying things like 'Biscuits," "Lollys," and "Nappies." We've been there twice so far, getting assorted groceries. The bananas here are small, about 3/4 as long and 1/2 the weight of the ones at home, but they taste the same. I picked up a 12-pack of diet passionfruit soda; it's good, tastes more like juice than soda, and I find I can't drink an entire can at once; I just lose interest.

The only US cereal that I was was Special K, so I guess Cheerios isn't universal. I got some variety of Uncle Toby's, which I would describe as "ordinary."

My Visa card works fine. I just hold it agains the display and I'm done. In Bali they wanted my pin, which my card doesn't have, so I had to fill out a form and sign it for everything.

The weather has been against us, with frequent sudden squalls. One last night was so strong that I think we had gale-force winds. The power blinked eight times but never went out.

Two devices have been extremely helpful. One is a freebee pen that someone sent us a few weeks ago; it has a penlight at one end, great for adjusting thermostats in the dark, and a stylus at the other end, for when I have to try to type something on my phone. The pen also works.

The other device is a "Carson 5X MiniBrite LED Lighted Slide-Out Aspheric Magnifier with Protective Sleeve," since the standard print size on maps and labels is about 5 point. It's just a nice little folding magnifier with an LED.

Paula has been medicating me and, along with the sleep, I feel much better. I'm very low on spoons, though.

I have seen a few lizards, and somewhere our unit there is a bullfrog 😊.

This evening the weather let up enough, and I was feeling well enough, to go out to a very nice Japanese restaurant.

Comments

  1. I'm sorry you feel bad. Hopefully it will pass as quickly as it came on. Still sounds interesting, and hooray for Japanese food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of Darwin observations that surprised me: doors to restaurants and shops open inwards. If you're standing at the end of a crosswalk on a busy street, drivers WILL stop for you. Darwin isn't a desert -- it has a dry season and a wet season. We are at the start of the wet season :-(. It's too hot to be out and about in mid-afternoon (well, that didn't actually surprise me.) The most popular restaurant on DoorDash for Darwin is McDonald's, followed by KFC. And yes, there are both within a couple of blocks of our hotel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday, October 22, Cairns

Monday, November 7, Auckland

Bali to Darwin